We've had a really nice month of homeschooling.
MONDAY
Mondays are our slower days, which has been so nice. We clean our bedrooms in the morning and have time for all of our schoolwork. I also tend to squeeze in our appointments and other things on this day. This month has been FULL of appointments. I've taken Lucy, Caleb AND Lydia to the pediatrician for sick child visits (croup, a secondary virus, and a fungal infection, ugh). Caleb had an appointment with the Nebo School District for a hearing/vision screening in preparation for receiving speech services. Lucy had an appointment for a speech and vision Educational Screening through Alpine School District to get her an IEP for her Albinism and Nystagmus. It's been busy - but I'm so happy with the progress we've made in getting the kids access to the resources that they need.
TUESDAY
Lydia and Austin have piano lessons on Tuesday morning. They love Sister (Stephanie) Lewis and would do anything for her, including practicing their piano regularly. When she asked if Lydia would crochet Cozette a turnip as part of her Halloween costume, Lydia was on board. It was a little harder project than originally expected and so one of the nights that David was on a work trip to Orlando, she and I stayed up past midnight watching a TV show and crocheting turnips together. I didn't know how to help her other than to just start crocheting my own so that we could troubleshoot together and we could stay focused on the project without my nagging her. This was my first amigurumi crochet project and I was so proud of how it turned out, for both me and her.
In the afternoon on Tuesday, Lydia has a Makerspace class at Thanksgiving Point and I've been taking the kids to play at the Children's Museum during that time. It's been nice to have the structured time for the younger kids to get to play there and Lydia is really enjoying her class. Most days, we wait for Lydia to be done and then let her choose something to do at the Museum, too.
WEDNESDAY
I teach a sewing class to Ava each Wednesday morning and have been enjoying that so much! She just finished a set of curtains for her bedroom. It's been fun to have the prompt to sew each week and I've found that it's helped me stay up on projects that I want and helps spark creativity for new sewing projects, even though her sewing class is focused on her.
Lydia also has Girls Club each Wednesday Afternoon. Three of the weeks are at the Millward family home, but the second Wednesday all of the girls meet at our house for a watercolor class. It's good for Lydia to hang out with homeschooled girls that all belong to our neighborhood and I'm hoping the consistency of this class helps her make friendships here.


THURSDAY
Lydia goes to her Middleton Mentor Coop and we host "mini-coop" at our house. The boys rotate between cooking, art, and STEM and have been particularly enjoying making their own cookbooks.
FRIDAY
Fridays are SPARK Coop in the morning and Field Trips in the afternoon.
Coop:
I'm laughing, because the majority of my pictures from Coop are Austin asking me to take a picture of him and whatever he worked on in his classes that day. He holds it in front of him, tilts his head to the side, and smiles his tight-lipped smile. We love coop because of the hands-on things that we are able to do in our classes. I'm so glad that it worked out for us to do this again this year.
Field Trips from this Month:
We had a lot of fun this month. We also got Cornbelly's passes this year, so we've spent a lot of time there, but I'm glad we still got to fit in so many other great October Field Trips.
Hale Center Theater: James and the Giant Peach
No comments:
Post a Comment