If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Dear Lydia,

My sweet girl. Tonight as I was putting you to bed I was holding you and rocking you in the chair next to your crib. It's been several weeks since I've actually been able to have you fall asleep in my arms - you have started to prefer falling asleep in bed on your own. But tonight, tonight your breathing steadied and as I held your sleeping body in my arms I was filled to overflowing with how much I love you. I was getting ready to stand and gently place you in your crib when your little hand reached up and grabbed onto my necklace. I was surprised, but quickly realized that you were still almost completely asleep. Ever so gently your fingers started playing with the little heart around my neck. To me, it was as if you knew that I was getting ready to put you down and even through your sleepiness you wanted me to stay with you for just a minute longer. And so, I stayed. I sat and felt that tiny hand grasping the small chain of my necklace. I tried to memorize the way your fingers felt on my neck as they gently enclosed and then released the charm. I stared down at your closed eyes and prayed that I would never forget that sweet moment. My prayers then turned to you. I prayed that you would always know how much I love you, and that you would always want me to stay for just a few more minutes. I know that someday you will be all grown up and you won't need me anymore, but tonight as I held you - I cherished you as my baby girl. You will always be my darling baby, and I will always love you.

Love, Your adoring mother.

No comments: