If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Moving time!

The first big move day. The day that all of our stuff had to move from our little apartment into an even little-er storage unit to await the day that it will all be able to take it's final place in our big new home!

I'll be honest. I was a little nervous about today. We contacted a ton of people to come and help us move our stuff but you never actually know how many people are going to show up. We don't own a ton of stuff - but there were still several heavy pieces of furniture and bunches and bunches of boxes. I don't know why I was so nervous, but I really, really was.

We did our very best to prepare. We are still going to be living in our apartment until the 31st, so we didn't have to have everything out - but we wanted to get as much moved as possible. Our rule was that when people started showing up, there would be no more boxing. If it was in a box, it went - but if it wasn't, it stayed.  Friday night was spent finishing packing up everything that we could. I'd done a really good job at pacing myself, so it wasn't so terrible - but I did have to go to sleep before David was done packing because I had a pretty bad headache. We all got up early this morning and finished everything up. (The tape would wake Lydia up, so David had filled a bunch of boxes that needed finishing up.) Our house was absolutely crazy. Organized chaos though. Organized chaos. See?








Ten o'clock in the morning rolled around and people started showing up. My dad and mom, Kyle and Chelsea Griffin, David's dad, our home teacher Tyler Hall, a fellow ward missionary Gary Child, a couple of men from the ward Curtis Barlow and Reed Anderson, several family members: Amy, Jeff, Kaylee, Josh, and Sam, and even my dearest friend Ashley Cooper, her husband Scott, and her sweet little kiddos. It was amazing to see how quickly everyone was able to pack up the trucks downstairs. (We didn't have a big moving truck, we really just counted on several people who said that they would bring trucks. I was a little worried about this, but we had 5 trucks and a van show up. It was amazing.) Within 35 minutes, all of the vehicles were loaded and we were ready to head over to the storage unit. It was amazing. I didn't have to carry a single box down the stairs. I was able to hold Lydia and direct traffic. It was such a blessing to me. Just a few minutes later all of the trucks had been unloaded in the unit and were headed back to the apartment to pick up the last round of boxes. Less than an hour and a half after we started hauling things downstairs our apartment had been cleared of pretty much all of our belongings. The change was like night and day. 

Of course we celebrated (and tried to show our appreciation) with some yummy pizza! Isn't that the rule? Pizza as payment for helping a person move?  


(This is David's "Will.i.am" pose.)
 





We are SO so grateful for all of the people who gave of their time and energy to come and help us. We really are so blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful people. Just a few more weeks and we will be moving into our house and hopefully we won't have to move ever again! 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second to last picture! That boy! He was one of my students! (Forgot his name. Whoops)

Ashley said...

I was so impressed with your packing. Everything was so organized. You've clearly been busy!!! I told Scott that I was inspired to start going through things and decluttering, dejunking, and organizing. He said that won't happen until we move, but maybe I can do a little at a time.

Thank you for letting Carson help too. I know he was a little in the way, but I wanted him to learn to help. :)

And please let me know what I can do to help this week - watch Lydia, help clean, whatever!

Emily said...

I'm so glad you had so many helpers there to get things going! I bet it was moved out in no time with all of them there :)

Kellie and Nick Fawcett said...

I hate moving with a passion! I am glad you got a lot of help. What in the world would we do without family and friends? ps I am in love with your house!!