If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Friday Five + Two extra because it's Saturday.

We had a fabulous week this last week. It was seriously packed with fun things. I've been trying to be really good about catching up on all of my posts - so even though yesterday was a busy day I didn't want to not post about these things.

1-Have you seen the Bing vs. Google commercials? We hate them. I don't know why, but they are so buggy to us. (Not as buggy as the AT&T commercials, but still buggy.) David and I are Google fans, and anytime Bing is accidentally pulled on on the computer at David's house we hate it. We are not Bing fans. Finally I was looking for something on Google and couldn't find it and this little voice in the back of my head whispered "Maybe Bing can find it." I guiltily snuck to the bing.com page and was relieved when after my search query none of the results were close to what I was looking for. Feeling bolstered in courage I decided that it was time once and for all to take the Bing challenge. Honestly, I was still a little worried... but I shouldn't have been. Here are my results:
I prefer Google 5 out of 5. Take that Bing. (My favorite part is the part that says "Bing won 0 rounds.")

2- Some background on this story: David's Grandma Peaden has a trust fund set up that in-part is meant to take care of the well-being of her children and grandchildren. A couple of years ago, they decided that they would use some of the money from the trust to get a years (two years?) supply of food for each of her children and grandchildren. It pretty much took over Sue and Cal's lives trying to research, order/purchase, and organize thousands of pounds of food storage. They ended up splitting the storage up into three houses with the hope that if something happened that deemed the food storage necessary - each member of the family would be able to congregate at one of those three locations. Some is in West Jordan at Cal and Sue's, some is in Lehi at Wendy and Sams, and some was in South Jordan at Bruce's.  However, Bruce was just offered a job in New York and has accepted the offer. Which means that all of the food storage stored at his house needed a new home. Our home. So last weekend we moved over 10,000 lbs of food storage from Bruce's house to ours. (Plus other items like a solor oven, wheat grinder, etc..) Bruce, Amy, David, Cal, Sue were there and even Kevin (who received a phone call that morning after David and Bruce didn't make a dent after carrying 10 50lb buckets a piece and knew they needed backup) drove down from Logan that morning. Lydia and I mainly stayed in the truck organizing the food as it came up out of Bruce's basement. We were all exhausted by the time that we were headed to our house to unload. Thankfully, some of our neighbors saw that we needed help and came over to assist with carrying the food storage downstairs. We never would have been able to do it without them. We figure that each person carried at least 2,000 lbs of wheat, beans, sugar, etc... each time. It was an exhausting day, but we are so grateful to David's grandma for providing so well for her family and being such a good example of financial security. We are grateful to David's parents for organizing the purchase and storage of so much emergency food. We are grateful that we have a house to help store that food, and grateful that so many people came to help us move it into our house.

 

3- Tinka's headlights, (our white Hyundai Elantra), have gotten SO bad you could hardly see out of them. It's not the lights that are inherently bad - but the cover was just so scratched and dirty that we didn't even like driving that car at night because the lights barely made a difference on the road. Last year I bought some headlight cleaner/buffer stuff - but it didn't make a huge impact. Finally, I took Tinka into Jiffy Lube because they said that they could clean them for $30 in 20 minutes. I decided that it was time to try it because anything had to help. (Seriously, we had a headlight go out who knows how long ago and you couldn't even tell because so little light was getting through the light covers. I WISH I would have taken a before picture because the difference is amazing! Our headlights are clear and so incredibly bright. I'm really really pleased and can't wait to drive somewhere at night. So worth it. I just wish that we would have taken her in sooner.

4-This week David's cousin Caitie graduated from High School. Caitie invited us and even though David had to work - Lydia and I decided to go and support her. Traffic was crazy and I ended up having to pay $5 for parking but the graduation was fantastic! Lydia was a champ through the whole thing and was content to sit and play on my lap or on the floor right next to me. The speakers were good, Caitie was so happy, and I got some cute pictures of Lydia and I. Congratulation Caitie! The whole world awaits the great things you are going to do.





5-Our neighbors, Katie and Jensen, invited us over to roast marshmallows at their fire pit one night. We got their message right after we put Lydia down for the night and so we headed over to chat and relax for a bit. It was super fun. I loved that we could go and hang out while Lydia was sleeping because we were still so close to home. We are glad to have such good neighbors and look forward to many more nights gathered around their fire pit after the kiddos have been put to bed.

6 (bonus)- As I was loading pictures for the above items, I came across these pictures from last weekend and knew I wanted to post them as well. Cassie and Colin (the newly married couple) invited us to come out to dinner with them to say thank you for helping them with their wedding. We went to Smash Burger and had a great time. We chatted for long after our meals were gone. (I'm pretty sure I watched three families come and go at the booth across from us.) I loved hanging out with them and am so happy for their happy life together. Love these two!



7 (double bonus)-I've started keeping a tab in the friday section of my planner to write down things during the week. That way when I get to Friday - I know exactly what I want to write about. One of the things on my list this week was "Grocery store mishap." Haha. I can't for the life of me remember what I wanted to post about. Maybe it was that I was planning to go to the store to do my grocery shopping on Monday but decided to run a few errands on my way that ended up taking over two hours - leaving no time for me to finish my shopping before David came home. (Resulting some creative interpretations on my recipes for the week because I haven't had time to go shopping this whole week). Maybe it was that because I decided to stop at Maceys for a few small items (remember: no time for a big shopping trip), saw that they were having a good sale on beef roasts, realizing after checkout that I must have picked up a roast that wasn't on sale, and returning it at the customer service desk just minutes later. Maybe I had another grocery store mishap that I've blocked out of my memory. Who really knows. I think I'm going to have to be a bit more descriptive in my planner if I want to remember things accurately for my Friday Five.

I realize that there are seven things here, and I didn't even write about playing with Ashley, Carson and Elsie - or about going to the pool with Bekah, Adaliah, and Elizabeth - or about how we celebrated our anniversary. But, we really had a great week and are excited for the weekend. 

Happy Weekend! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Grocery store mishap sounds like the story of my life :)

Ashley said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who A) hates the Bing vs. Google commercials and B) hates Bing. I'm so glad Bing didn't win any rounds on your challenge. :)