If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, October 30, 2020

Friday Field Trips - October


I decided to start making a separate blog post for our Friday Field Trips instead of lumping it into our regular homeschool posts. We school Monday-Thursday, then Friday we do three things -Family History, - Journal, -Field Trip. It's one of the things that I love most about homeschooling (do I say this about everything? I probably do.) I love to adventure. I love to spend time with my kids and allow them to explore, learn, and feel joy. Sometimes our Field Trips are big. Sometimes they are simple. This month we had a good combination of those. 

Park Day
One week we just went to a local park that we'd never been to. It had a big grassy area with some rocks for climbing on plus a HUGE pipe (I think that the park was built over an area of water pipe and there was a big sign explaining about it). The kids loved running up and down the inside of the pipe and it was just a nice day of being in the sunshine. Lucy is walking like a champion and I just can't get over how darling she is. While the kids were playing in the pipe she just sat behind them and moved rocks from one pile to another the whole time. I love this age. 




Burgess Orchard Field Trip
One of my very favorite field trips was the trip that we took to Burgess Orchards our very first year of homeschool. It was so full of magic and solidified our joy in homeschooling. I set up another homeschool trip this year, but because of COVID there had to be a lot of modifications and we had to split our group in two. The Haderlies came with us and several of our homeschool friends came right after us. I wish we had been able to be together, but it was lovely anyway. 

I think that one of the biggest things you can do for "self-care" as a mother is to find the things that fill your cup that you can do with your children and DO THEM. One of those things for me is going to an orchard in the fall. It just fills my cup. 





Timpanogos Canyon with the Haderlies
We wanted to go spend some time in the mountains but couldn't find a good trail on the internet to guide us where to go. We decided to go up to Cascade Springs which is WAY far away but it fit the bill for what we were looking for. As we started up the canyon I kept seeing these little pull-outs and finally just called Jenna and we pulled into one of them. It ended up being perfect. There was a little lunch area for us to eat at, a walking trail, and a river for the kids to play in. Lucy loves the water as much as the rest of the kids. We stayed for a really long time and only left after Austin fell completely in the river after climbing the entire way across a log. (Lydia and Camille both were adventuring all across the rocks and logs in the river, too.) It was a wonderful afternoon. 






Highland Glen with the Middletons
I didn't take hardly any pictures (enjoying the moments) but we had a great day riding bikes/scooters around the path at Highland Glen. We love spending time with this family and enjoying the outdoors together is one of our favorite things to do. Of note: about 1/3 of the way through our adventure Caleb fell into the lake (he was okay, thank goodness). I had a change of clothes in my diaper bag (win!) - and we laughed because this is the second lake that he has fallen into when we were with the Middletons. The day ended with all of the kids riding their bikes and scooters down the sandy beach into the water. It was messy and wet and everyone ended up soaked but it was joyful and the best thing to do before the weather turns really cold. 


(Before riding into the lake, all the kids spent a good amount of time riding through some of the big puddles on the path. Ah, childhood.) 

No comments: