If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12.12.12

Did you know that David's favorite number is 12? Is it. So today, on the luckiest of days for my boy whose lucky number is twelve... I thought that I'd take the chance to list twelve things that I love about him. 

1-David loves sports. He enjoys watching ESPN, reading about all the sporty things going on, and can recall an insane amount of sport trivia knowledge. This has lead to the word "sport" transforming into a verb. For example, "Hey David, what are you sporting?" or "How about you sport for a minute while I finish looking at my blogs?" I love that he loves sports - but I love even more that anytime I need him (or Lydia needs him) he instantly stops sporting and jumps right in with whatever we need.

2-David remembers sweet things about us. Things like what shirt he wore on our first date, or when he first asked me out, or even little things that I said I like even though I don't ever remember telling him. He is just so kind and thoughtful.



3-Sometimes I make dumb mistakes, but David never makes me feel bad about them. He is always loving and supportive. When I accidentally dropped my phone in Lydia's carseat, but then didn't take it back from her because it was keeping her quiet - which resulted in a phone that could no longer make phone calls, he just sent me a link of new phones to look at. No lecture on not giving my phone to the baby. When I accidentally put cinnamon in our fajitas instead of chili powder (much like this incident) and started crying in the middle of the kitchen - he just pulled me in for a hug while stifling a laugh and told me he would either help me rinse the meat in the sink or he would take me out to eat. It's lucky he is so good about me making mistakes - because he has to deal with a lot of them.

4-David loves to be involved in everything that we do. From decorating our home, to working at our Bridal Fairs. I'm grateful for his opinions, his help, and his desire to be with me.

5-When we got married, David's closet was about 90% blue shirts. He has branched out a lot now that he is working in a professional industry, but the majority of his clothes are still blue. I totally support this because I love the way he looks in blue. (Those big blue eyes that Lydia has? Yeah, they are all from David.) But each time I look into his closet I smile a little as I see the sea of blue in there.

6- When we first started dating, and I told David that I didn't watch PG-13 movies I waited for the "Really?" reaction or the look on his face that said "Well, no more dates after this one." (Believe me, I got some pretty heavy reactions.) But he didn't make a big deal about it - just remarked that he thought that was neat and moved on. He never once pressured me to watch something that I didn't want to. Later on in our dating, he decided that he was going to adopt the same stance on PG-13 movies. I thought that maybe he would just stick to it while I was there, but he didn't - he stopped watching them altogether. I'm so grateful for his strength and determination. I always thought I could make my 13-free philosophy work even if I married someone who still watched them, but now I realize that I never would have made it. I'm grateful that David was so supportive for me, and for himself. I can honestly say that this has blessed our life and our marriage infinite amounts.


7-David gets excited about little things. Something as simple as popping a bag of popcorn and bringing him a popsicle can make him smile ear to ear. It isn't hard to keep this boy happy. I love that about him.

8-Sometimes when Lydia sees David, she will start grinning ear to ear. He will swoop down and scoop her up - making her giggle for minutes on end. I love to watch him play with her. She is a lucky girl to have a dad who loves her so much.

9-When we are watching a movie, or just resting on the couch, he will swing his legs up across the couch and gesture for me to come sit by him. He lets me lay my head down on his chest - and more times than not I fall asleep listening to his heartbeat. This leaves him trapped there - but he always just stays with me. I think his arms and legs have fallen asleep more times than he can count - but he loves to be with me as much as I love to be with him. (Although, he has learned to keep the iPad within reaching distance if I come cuddle with him.)

10- David loves our shows. We both get excited when we find a show on Netflix that we love, and frequently fly through the episodes. When we were in Logan and we first discovered Psych, we flew through 3 seasons in 2 weeks. We moved our bed out into the living room and everything. I love that everytime we finish a good episode, we both look at the remote mentally willing it to push play again so that we don't have to go to bed just yet. Many late nights have been caused by one or the other of us saying "again?".

11- For David's job, he has to wear dress slacks and a longsleeve button-up shirt. Honestly, although it may not be the most comfortable work attire, I love it because he just looks so good! Sometimes when David dresses up for work in the morning - he just looks so handsome that it makes the fact that he has to go to work even more lame. I'm seriously considering becoming a receptionist at his office so I can just look at him all day.

12- David is a great money manager. I've never felt so financially secure in my life. He doesn't need a whole lot of "things" and is willing to sacrifice in order to be financially stable. I love to budget with him, and figure out exactly how much we want to allocate to each thing. It is so empowering to know you can buy the things you want, and to know that if something bad happened everything would be okay. He is so patient with me as I learn how to be more financially responsible, and even lets me get away with a few "budget manipulations" here and there. I love that our finances are more about what we CAN have than what we cant.


So to end. David, twelve might be your lucky number, but I think today must be my lucky day. I am so lucky to have you (and so is Lydia).   Happy 12.12.12!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved reading this. Now I know why he and Brad always got along so well; they are both so much alike. I'm sure this post meant a lot for David. Random fact: We don't watch PG-13 movies either. And it's the same story: I didn't, now we don't. And I couldn't have it another way either. Aren't we blessed??? Thanks for the sweet post about your hubby.

Anonymous said...

How blessed you are to have such a wonderful husband!