If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

House Progression: Insulation

We are so excited about our house. Every day things keep looking better and better. The builder did a great job putting the blown in insulation in the exterior walls. See how awesome that looks? It should keep our house nice and warm. They put up plastic along all the walls that they were going to insulate and then used a reverse vacuum process to blow foam between the plywood and the plastic. We are really happy with it. 




However, the builders don't insulate the garage and Shantel and I also wanted to insulate some interior walls to keep the noise levels down. The builder let us know a few days before hand what day we could put in insulation and we called our family for help. Shantel and I are really blessed to have wonderful family members willing to help at a moments notice. We had a whole bunch of people show up to help us, and we are so grateful.


My Dad and my brother Mike came and brought the staple gun so we could insulate the garage ceiling and all the walls. Mike worked on cutting pieces and I climbed up the ladder and stapled the insulation to the ceiling. Meanwhile my Dad worked on the garage walls. See how awesome that insulation is? It should keep the garage at least reasonably warm.

Meanwhile, Shantel's Dad, Shantel and my sister Amy started on the inside. 



They started with the insulation in the ceiling between the 1st and 2nd floor, hopefully that will keep the noise of lots of little kids running around down a little bit. 


Then they moved upstairs and put insulation in the walls upstairs around the laundry room, bathroom and master bedroom. 


I think it will be so nice to keep the noise down and make the house feel warm and comfortable. We were almost done and had just 3 or 4 more pieces of insulation to do and were starting to get pretty tired. Fortunately Shantel's sister Melissa and her boyfriend Ben showed up to save the day. Melissa put in the last piece of insulation and lead the clean up charge. My Dad and Mike left just before we took this picture, but here is the rest of the crew (note that awesome insulation in the ceiling!).


And finally some more pictures from the project.










Special shout out to Shantel's Mom who came down and took care of Lydia so that Shantel could help work on the insulation, we really appreciate her. Also, a shout out to my Mom who let my Dad come down and help even though they had a big day of Christmas shopping planned.


Shantel and I are so grateful to have such wonderful parents and such skilled Fathers who can do pretty much everything. Thank you to Scott, Lori, Melissa, Ben, Dad, Amy, Mike and Shantel. We are grateful for you and can't wait to have everyone over to our nice, warm, well insulated home.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love this :) I also can't wait until your house is finished so I can sit in your cool chair :)

Emily said...

It is all coming along so FAST!!! That's great and really smart of you to add insulation to the garage as well as more to sound proof the house. I bet you'll be really happy you did that! So nice to have family there to help!